MPHIL Admission in Jadavpur University: Selection Procedure Dates.
MPhil, Philosophy is a comprehensive system of ideas about human nature and the nature of the reality we live in. The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is a Postgraduate Academic Research Degree.
Some people outside of academia often think an MPhil is an MSc degree in Philosophy rather than an advanced research degree as it has a similar skill set to a Ph.D.
Others might consider MPhil students as Ph.D. students who haven’t completed their doctorate and has instead left with ‘just’ an MPhil. But, MPhil is a valuable postgraduate qualification that many employers are looking for when hiring people for jobs such as researchers or other areas of academic study.
M.Phil. DEGREE Details:
The duration of Masters of Philosophy degree is 1-2 years involving a number of semesters. The syllabus is a mixture of theory and practical. Scholars are trained to present their research findings. A pre-doctoral programme – Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) is pursued after completion of the Master’s Degree.
It can either be completely research-based or can include some course work as well. Masters Degree in Philosophy (MPhil) is offered by many Indian Universities in a wide variety of subjects ranging from English, Mathematics, Physics to Management. Masters Degree Programs in Philosophy can also be pursued through distance learning programs as per the flexibility of the student.
After completing a Master of Philosophy through distance learning, one can continue further research through other doctoral programs as well.
Eligibility Criteria For Masters MPhil:
Current students of M.A/M.Sc courses who have appeared or due to appear in final examination of MA/MSc or an allied subject at the postgraduate level , securing at least the minimum percentage of marks as mentioned under A in the sum total of all marks obtained in 1st, 2nd and 3rd semester examinations (in case of grade, the mid value of the corresponding range of marks should be considered for calculation of the relevant percentage of marks) with at least 40% marks in each course/paper are eligible to apply.
For the above mention candidates, the percentage of marks obtained in the total of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd semesters examinations will be considered for preparing the merit list. At the time of counseling/admission, those students (if provisionally selected) must submit a proof of completion of M.A/ M.Sc Final Examination, 2019 authenticated by the appropriate authority of his/her college/ institute/ LPU Application Form 2019.
Candidates will be required to submit their mark-sheet positively as per previous year tentative date by14 Sept 2019. The admission procedure and selection criteria for admission to Master of Philosophy (M.Phil.) through distance learning, however, may vary from one Institute to another. Some Institutes have specific added eligibility criteria for admitting candidates into their distance learning M.Phil. program.
If at the time of counseling/admission and verification of marks, it is found by the authority of the University that
- A student does not meet the eligibility criteria, he/she will not be considered for admission, even if he/she is provisionally selected for admission. Their provisional admission shall be canceled automatically if they are not declared to have passed securing at least the minimum percentage of marks as mentioned under A in the aggregate of all marks obtained in 1st, 2nd and 3rd semester examinations after the release of the results of the fourth semester examination (or corresponding Part in the Annual System).
- Their provisional admission will be canceled even if they are declared eligible for Special Supplementary Examination 2019 or any such Examinations as per the Examination Rules of the University concerned.
- a student had entered incorrect marks in his/her online application form, then his/her merit position shall be revised accordingly. In case of mentioning marks more than what he/she has actually obtained (as in his/her mark-sheets), he/she may be denied admission.
If a student’s marks in any specific examination at Master’s level increases after evaluation of his/her result for that examination by the involved an Institute/ University after the last date of submission of online application, such extra marks shall not be considered thereafter and at the time of counseling/admission, and his/her rank position in the provisional merit shall not be changed.
|Category||Minimum marks required in the Master Degree or allied subjects|
|General||at least 55% marks in total or its equivalent grade ‘B’ in the UGC 7-point scale|
|S.C. / S.T./ P.D./OBC-A/OBC-B||at least 50% or its equivalent grade.|
|Candidates who had completed their Master’s degree prior to 19 th September 1991||at least 50% or its equivalent grade.|
Masters in Philosophy (MPhil) Admission Process:
One has to sit for entrance examination based on the aptitude test, subject knowledge and personal interview for the admission for MPhil course Each University has its unique admission test which can be looked upon the concerned University’s portal.
M.Phil Syllabus and Course Description:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Module I||Module III|
|Philosophical and educational perspective in Universal and human development||Excellence in education|
|Psychological perspective in education||Global citizenship and the human right education|
|Module II||Module IV|
|ICT and Research||Comparative teacher education|
|Contemporary development in educational technology||Interdisciplinary|
|One written assignment per course|
|One seminar or book review|
Scope Of Employment After M.PHIL:
- Assistant Professor
- Human Services Worker
- Social Service Workers
- Research Assistant.
The Scheme Of MPhil Shall be as follows:
|Course work (4 papers of Two hours, each carrying 50 marks)||200 Marks|
|Part –II (A) Examination|
(ii) Internal Assessment (Based on review essays & at least 2 seminars)
Part-II (B) Examinations
(i) Dissertation/Project Work
(ii) Final comprehensive Viva-voce
- To pass, a candidate must obtain 50% marks in Part-I (in course work) & 50% marks in Part-II examination. Each successful candidate in Part-I examination is eligible for Part-II examination. Each successful candidate in both Part-I and Part-II shall be granted the degree.
- Only those candidates who have prosecuted the course of studies in the 1st year and passed the Part-I examination with 50% marks may submit the Dissertation / Project Work assigned to him in term of the laws, shall be eligible for admission to the Part-II examination and sit for final comprehensive /Viva-voce Examination.
- Eligible candidates shall apply within the prescribed kind for admission to the current examination at the side of associate examination fee as be mentioned by the University from time to time. A student who has qualified in the Part-I examination shall be required to submit a dissertation before he appears at the final comprehensive viva-voce failing which his registration shall automatically stand canceled.
- Single examiner for course work and double examiners (one internal and one external examiner preferably from outside the home university) to assess the performance of the candidates at the viva voce examination conjointly to look at the dissertation/project work shall be appointed by the relevant P.G. Board of Studies on the suggestion of the M.Phil. Committee.
- Prior to the submission of the treatise, a student shall deliver pre-M.Phil. presentation within the Department which will be opened to any or all school members and analysis students for obtaining feedback and comments, which can fitly have incorporated within the draft thesis with the advice of the supervisors.
Classification of Successful Candidates:
The candidates who passed their written papers and dissertation in their first attempt shall be classified as follows:
|Total Marks secured in written papers & Dissertation||Classification|
|1. 75% and above||I Class with Distinction|
|2. Above 60% to below 75%||I Class|
|3. Above 50% to below 60%||II Class|
*Candidates who pass the program in more than one attempt shall be declared to have completed the programme under II Class.